" village poet

Friday, September 27, 2002

All the saga about Elodie comes after the pictures as another 26.09 2002 entry.I think I am too old to know what I feel. I have lived too long in a world where we think and plan and take measured and considered and even considerate decisions. I have no emotional resources really to deal with what I think about a doctor who does what was done. My good friend, who is a doctor, phoned me today and said that he had spoken to his GP who said it 'sounded like Hirschsprung's' ,...and' when this happens the whole skin and membranes of the bowel and rectum are weakened...you have to exercise enormous care'..............I think today I just am falling back on the old cliches that the Thais are seriously deprived when it comes to sensations and feelings.The whole point of the Land Of Smiles, after all, is that the SMILE conceals a cauldron of seething emotions which cannot be expressed..so you get 1001 ways to grin. The dentists drill without anaesthetics and the patients emerge white and trembling.....as Neville, my dentist, who is Chinese said...it is senseless..you cannot do the job properly if the patient is in pain...... actually it makes me think of peasant farmers confronting a problem of animal obstetrics... Children? well..don't have any feelings do they! explains why Thai psychiatric hospitals are full to overflowing....... and as for complaining...worse than the UK..don't want to get involved, don't want to make a fuss, could not possibly suggest that a Doctor had made a mistake....and it will probably all come down to whether I can find a lawyer with more influential friends than the hospital.. LA DI DA