" village poet

Saturday, August 24, 2002

I am revisiting this. Of course it occurs to me..belatedly..too much Jamesons on a Satuday..that, of course, this extra 250 million people or whatever have very little to do with America..wherever that maybe...if they are Latinos, Korean, Vietnamese, and no doubt eventually Russian, Albanian, Kosovan or what...that is what they will be....Originally there were some clear views about what was being abandoned and embraced...but I suspect that what will emerge is some hybrid flag waving and intense ethnic aggressiveness. We shall see.

Intoned The Poet

Economist.com | Demography and the West This nags at me. It is something to do with the 'Where to live if you can live anywhere' theme. And I am thinking about Elodie's future all the time.So "luk khreung" half Thai half European children are out of fashion are they? Replaced by some pure Han stereotypes, of course..as the paper had it..."delicate faces not out of place in Shanghai"..or something like that..I suppose round eyes to them are slant eyes to you?....But anyway the preferred ground is Sydney but I cannot see us sorting the visas!