" village poet

Friday, August 23, 2002

Now here is a pretty kettle of fish I have come across. I am cross because I cannot really critique it properly as all my notes are in a box in London rather than BKK. This was research from the ur-electronic age....BUT. I think that either the reviewer, if he is to be believed, or the author are seriously missing the point. A mention of regimen would be a good start. See Barthes History of Sexuality. Diet was not a stand alone issue it was part of the the whole physical, spiritual, mental structure for the ordering of life. Secondly these books did not die out, what happened was that the whole process of advice became first medicalised, as opposed to herbalised!, and then got all mixed up with cookery books..this was already happening in the works of Muffet and Hart in the late 17th century and by the time of say Hunter in the early 19th century the transition was nearly complete. Thirdly vegetarianism was a serious issue and far from being a side issue there are plenty of works which promote the diet.It became mixed up with the whole question of the rights of animals. Fourthly the issue about longevity is skated over. The prolongation of life was a really big number....Oh for me notes Anyway must read the book myself..if you do let me knowGuardian Unlimited Books | LRB essay | Barbecue of the vanities: a short history of diet books