" village poet

Tuesday, October 01, 2002

We have got back today the translations into Thai of all the hospital records and documents. I said to the translator guy: 'Sad story, eh?' And he said: 'How much are you going to sue them for?' '30 million Baht', I replied. ' And that is probably not enough.' "If she needs lifelong care, a house etc"... And he said : "If it was my daughter I would not bother..I would just send in the luk nong!" No, I joke, he didn't really, well some of it!.........but we sort of agreed that the whole thing was 'beyond the normal'.!! ..as is the charming Thai phrase......
ps. luk nong are the tontons, the men in dark glasses, the hit men.....I believe the going rate for contract murder is about 5000B-$120!! Probably less for a whitey.

But I have got the Health Minister's email and mobile number! Cannot see that will help. Still think the Newspaper is the best course of action. Strangely, while this was developing the papers were full of the doctors' protests at the new Health Bill. "It will mean money drunk lawyers lying in wait at hospital doors to pressure patients into taking legal action against doctors." Clearly the sooner the better. SHOCK someone Thai becomes accountable; it truly would be a first. Cannot see it happening.